The theme of Seed Congress is “Seed of Joy” which is very much in line with vision of the government [National Farmer Policy] to bring happiness and prosperity in the lives of farmers by doubling their farm income by 2022.
The availability of certified / quality seeds in the country has increased from less than 40 lakh quintal during decade of 60 to 370 lakh quintal in 2015-16.
The Department of Agriculture, Cooperation & Farmers Welfare has asked the State Governments to prepare variety wise seed rolling plants to meet year wise, season wise requirements of quality seeds.
This seed rolling plant will fulfill the double purpose of improving;
- the Seed replacement rate along with
- Variety replacement rate
so that sustainable agricultural production and productivity could be ensured.
- Pradhan Mantri Gramin Sadak Yojana,
- Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchai Yojana,
- Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana,
- Pradhan Mantri Krishi Vikas Yojana,
- Paramparagat Krishi Vikas Yojana,
- Soil Health Scheme,
- Neem Coated Urea and
- E-National Agriculture Mandi Scheme’s aim at to bring improvement in crop productivity as well as income of the farmers.
National Farmer Policy has the objective :
- to accelerate agricultural output,
- develop infrastructural facilities in the villages,
- promote value addition,
- expedite the growth of agro-business,
- create employment in the rural areas,
- ensuring better livelihood status of the farmers and agriculture workers and their families,
- discourage migration to urban areas and face the challenges emerging out of economic liberalization and globalization
Besides vegetables, there is great potentiality to export hybrid maize, paddy, pearl millet and cotton seeds to SEI & African countries: Shri Singh
Indian seed industry has the potential to become a major industry to supply quality seeds in global markets: Shri Singh
Availability of certified/quality seeds increased in the country due to the policy initiatives of the government: Agriculture Minister Shri Radha Mohan Singh
7 points programmes laid down by Hon’ble Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi to make the income of the farmers double:
- Big focus on irrigation with large budgets, with the aim of “per drop-more crop”
- Provision of quality seeds and nutrients based on soil health of each field
- Large investments in warehousing and cold chains to prevent post-harvest crop losses
- Promotion of value addition through food processing
- Creation of a national farm market, removing distortions and e-platform across 585 stations
- Introduction of a new crop insurance scheme to mitigate risks at affordable cost
- Promotion of ancillary activities like poultry, beekeeping and fisheries.