APEDA pavilion would be inaugurated on 26th February, 2017.
- The Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority) an apex organization under the Ministry of Commerce & Industry in the Gulf Food 2017 in Dubai.Sixty four (64) exporters dealing into range of Agriculture and Processed Food products are participating under the banner of APEDA. (26TH FEBRUARY- 2NDMARCH 2017)
- APEDA is mandated with the responsibility for Promotion and Development of the export of various agro products.
India is one of the largest producer of food in the world. APEDA’s export basket includes fresh and processed fruits and vegetables, alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages, pickles, chutneys, guar gum, poultry, meat and dairy products, confectionery, cut flowers, food grains, aromatic plants, Basmati Rice and Indian Long Grain Rice and other Indian delicacies. India exports agricultural products to more than 80 countries world over. The export of Agro products for the year 2015-16 was to the tune of US$ Million 16195.61.
UAE market is a potential market for Indian food products i.e. Basmati Rice, Fresh Fruits & Vegetables, Non Basmati Rice, Buffalo Meat, alcoholic Beverages, Sheep & Goat Meat, Processed Fruits and Juices, Cereal Preparation, Misc Processed items, Dairy Products, Milled Products, Wheat, Cocoa Products, Pulses, Other Cereals, Groundnut, Processed Vegetables, Floriculture, Guargum, etc.
The export of APEDA scheduled products to UAE market for the year 2015-16 was US $ Million 1371.
The Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority (APEDA) was established by the Government of India under the Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority Act passed by the Parliament in December, 1985. The Act (2 of 1986) came into effect from 13th February, 1986 by a notification issued in the Gazette of India: Extraordinary: Part-II [Sec. 3(ii): 13.2.1986). The Authority replaced the Processed Food Export Promotion Council (PFEPC).
In accordance with the Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority Act, 1985, (2 of 1986) the following functions have been assigned to the Authority.
- Development of industries relating to the scheduled products for export by way of providing financial assistance or otherwise for undertaking surveys and feasibility studies, participation in enquiry capital through joint ventures and other reliefs and subsidy schemes;
- Registration of persons as exporters of the scheduled products on payment of such fees as may be prescribed;
- Fixing of standards and specifications for the scheduled products for the purpose of exports;
- Carrying out inspection of meat and meat products in slaughter houses, processing plants, storage premises, conveyances or other places where such products are kept or handled for the purpose of ensuring the quality of such products;
- Improving of packaging of the Scheduled products;
- Improving of marketing of the Scheduled products outside India;
- Promotion of export oriented production and development of the Scheduled products;
- Collection of statistics from the owners of factories or establishments engaged in the production, processing, packaging, marketing or export of the scheduled products or from such other persons as may be prescribed on any matter relating to the scheduled products and publication of the statistics so collected or of any portions thereof or extracts therefrom;
- Training in various aspects of the industries connected with the scheduled products;
- Such other matters as may be prescribed.
COMPOSITION OF THE APEDA AUTHORITY
As prescribed by the statute, the APEDA Authority consists of the following members namely:
- A Chairman, appointed by the Central Government
- The Agricultural Marketing Advisor to the Government of India, ex-offical.
- One member appointed by the Central Government representing the Planning Commission
- Three members of Parliament of whom two are elected by the House of People and one by the Council of States
- Eight members appointed by the Central Government representing respectively; the Ministries of the Central Govt.
(i) Agriculture and Rural Development
(vi) Civil Supplies
(vii) Civil Aviation
(viii) Shipping and transport
- Five members appointed by the Central Government by rotation in the alphabetical order to represent the States and the Union Territories
- Seven members appointed by the Central Govt. representing
(i) Indian Council of Agricultural Research
(ii) National Horticultural Board
(iii) National Agricultural Cooperative Marketing Federation
(iv) Central Food Technological Research Institute
(v) Indian Institute of Packaging
(vi) Spices Export Promotion Council and
(vii) Cashew Export Promotion Council.
- Twelve members appointed by the Central Government representing
- Fruit and Vegetable Products Industries
- Meat, Poultry and Dairy Products Industries
- Other Scheduled Products Industries
- Packaging Industry
Two members appointed by the Central Government from amongst specialists and scientists in the fields of agriculture, economics and marketing of the scheduled products.
APEDA is mandated with the responsibility of export promotion and development of the following scheduled products:
- Fruits, Vegetables and their Products.
- Meat and Meat Products.
- Poultry and Poultry Products.
- Dairy Products.
- Confectionery, Biscuits and Bakery Products.
- Honey, Jaggery and Sugar Products.
- Cocoa and its products, chocolates of all kinds.
- Alcoholic and Non-Alcoholic Beverages.
- Cereal and Cereal Products.
- Groundnuts, Peanuts and Walnuts.
- Pickles, Papads and Chutneys.
- Guar Gum.
- Floriculture and Floriculture Products.
- Herbal and Medicinal Plants.
In addition to this, APEDA has been entrusted with the responsibility to monitor import of sugar.